Monday, June 19, 2006

Ze Graduation


Ze Graduation
Originally uploaded by pmdcsb.
Last week was graduation week -- in Harvard, but all of Boston stops. Flags go up all over, public buildings put signs up, restaurants make special menus. They all say: Congrats to Harvard graduates! Congrats, to all my friends there. They do look lovely in the caps.

As a postdoc, I'm too late for graduations, so I went to a friend's instead. The big day starts with an early breakfast. Then there are speeches, some even say there were cannons, and all the thousands of graduates cheer in the rain. More speeches and then lunch. That's when I got out of bed. I went to the business school, which feels like a luxurious golf club. Harvard square is covered with people in gowns, and their families.

Now the families are by far the happiest people around. They gleam and glow in their white, yellow, black or red faces. Photo time everywhere. It feels like Christmas. And it's only once a year.

2 Comments:

Blogger ufukhati said...

I think you are a poet.
What is the meaning of life to a poet like you?

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the meaning of life....there is a movie that explains it! But for those not wanting to rent the dvd, I'm sure Pedro's explanation would start with "there is no better life than...."

And there you have it! The answer to everything! Either in Pedro's blog or in Monty Python's movie. I personally think the blog is so much better!

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home